Saturday, June 5, 2010

Letting go and putting our trust in God

This past month has been our most learning experience, and the most trying and hardest to handle. I commented previously that I had an experience that I wanted to share, but it was not the time. I feel now is the time. Back on May 10, three days after we put Natalee into Gods care, besides some of the things they told us to expect, I was told she had 2-4 weeks to live. I was in shock and horrific grief, so unimaginable was my anguish. I sat out in the parking lot, and told my Father in Heaven that I didn't think I could handle it anymore. That night I had Gods tender mercies come upon me. To try and explain this sacred experience I know that I will not do justice, but I will attempt. That night while talking with my Father in Heaven, my body went through a literal, physical experience. I felt likemy whole body was being filled up with air, literally, and as I was being filled my whole being was being filled with such peace and light. It is the most powerful experience that I have felt. A peace that surpasses all understanding. What followed in our family for the next three weeks is something that I thought was unattainable. We were being carried, and that blessing of the Holy Spirit was so great that our faith and hope became so empowering. Every morning when I woke up I felt so positive and knew she was going to make it, there was not a doubt in my mind or heart. When Kent would give her a Priesthood blessing it was so powerful, that no doubt the words given would be carried out, because the spirit was so strong. The spiritual feelings were so magnificent in our home, nothing seemed impossible. I will say that we have drawn on the powers of heaven and exercised a faith that has been pure and without doubt, that I know if God healed only on the merits of someones faith Natalee would be healed. Plus I know that thousands of people have been praying mightily right with us.
The previous weekend we have had to learn a new lesson and it is hard. First when we turned her over to Gods care, we still was asking God to do what we desired and being a big part of the process. There is nothing wrong with that and we felt this was the right course of action. On Saturday May 29, Natalee went down so fast she came close to dying, her kidney was shutting down ( which is the first to go) she was so lifeless and no longer in pain. The nurse said she would most likely pass on, this week. She was given fluids that went directly by a needle into her stomach. With the re hydration also revealed that her kidney was ok. That is when we came to a new level of understanding; that we needed to let go completely and say to God, 'Thy will be done'. With no expectations just complete trust. This is harder to do than it appears. We have a greater appreciation for Abraham of old when he took his son Isaac to the alter to be sacrificed. He had no expectations that God would tell him to stop, he went with pure faith and a trust in Gods will. Amazing! (Later to be a lesson us of Christ's infinite sacrifice) So as we gave Natalee to God, we do not know whether she will have her life extended, or if God will take her home. A place Mormons call the Spirit World, where families still exist, where we are able to grow, learn and experience, a peaceful life, a place where Natalee would be free from her cancer.
One of the questions I had to ask and finally got an answer, is why did I feel so strong that she would be healed. It occurred to me during the three weeks when we were being carried by the Holy Spirit, that the spirit was so strong that it caused us to feel so good, that it most likely caused us misinterpret what was being conveyed. I hope that make sense, for God doesn't mislead we just understand it incorrectly.
Where we are at right now. First Natalee's kidney is working. She still won't eat and weighs about 60# (at 5'1") She is bound to the recliner downstairs and that is where she sleeps most of the day and night. She is unable to walk so the recliner is her life. There are times when she will sleeps for 2 whole days. So in truth it is not promising. She is in a lot of pain that can be controlled (when she takes her medication) Our family is doing OK, we feel like we are in a waiting room, waiting to see how God wants things to turn out. No expectations, a trust that God will do what is best. A quote I found this week " Faith is stepping into the unseen and trusting the light will follow" (Hafen) Our trust is knowing that Natalee will be where God intended her to be and we have peace with that.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Natalee~
We all love you! Do you know that you probably have people praying for you that have probably never even set their eyes on the beautiful and strong person that you are. I think that you totally just redefined Natalee! Natalee means "Born on Christmas" and Walton means "Powerful Ruler". To me, you are just what your name says. Even though you weren't born on Christmas day, you have that close of relationship with God. You are also the powerful ruler of cancer!
"I guess what I be saying is there ain't no better reason, to rid yourself of vanities and just go with the seasons it's what we aim to do, our name is our virtue."
Jason Mraz, "I'm Yours"
Courtney

Scott said...

Walton Family,

Our thoughts, prayers and concern are with Natalee and her family.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, your family is an amazing example of faith and trust in our Heavenly Father.

Scott Dimick

Missy said...

Your family is an amazing display of faith! It's so true that God answers, not always just what we want, but in time, always what we need. My heart aches for what you are going through. Find all the comfort in God that you can. My continued prayers are with you, now and always.

Anonymous said...

Natalee you are a strong person. we all love you so much. what I said earlier was true. you are my role model and u are one of a kind.My family and I always think and cry for you.We all love you so much i cant put it in any other words excpet you are awesome. I always pray for the comfort of you and your family.
-Jazzmin Fladger
ps. hi =P

Shannon said...

Natalee~
I am glad that god is on your side and will always be with you and your family. I continually fast and pray for you and now I feel closer to my Heavenly Father than ever before. Thank You! I hope to see you soon.
~Shannon

Janice said...

God's love is an amazing thing. We pray continually for his love, strength and peace to be with you and that you will know his will. "your faith will make you whole"

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I continue to pray for Nat and your family.
God Bless, Gwen Kalvelage

Anonymous said...

natalee,
i dont know were to start although i dont know you that well my heart is filled with pain. thanks to the beach trip i got to know you, you are the sweetest and kinddest people i have met, truly one in a million. you and the girl scouts welcomed me with open arms. as did the parents, i had a great time during that trip and i will never forget it. pictures hold one thousand memories that can never be destoryed. the steward are praying and just hopping that god will help you over come your cancer. we all hope for the best out come. we will always pray for you and know you arent alone because there are a bunch of people who love you. we love you keep up the fight and hope for the best.

with love, keely steward

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bethany said...

I admire your ability to look at the big picture and put your trust into God's hands. My thoughts have been with your family even though I don't know you other than through this blog. My dad passed away from colon cancer in March and we went through similar things and feelings as we let him go. I know your daughter has just moved onto the next stage of her progression and i'm sure she anxiously awaits seeing her loved ones there.