Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 12

Yay! Out of ICU and into a regular room last night. The hospital staff is amazed at how quickly Natalee is recovering from such a long surgery. She was able to sit up yesterday (which she had to do before they would let her out of ICU) and she can move her leg quite a bit. She still has some pain of course, and is having a hard time speaking because her throat hurts (due to the intubation during surgery). She does have an epidural and will get to keep it for another week or so (thank you modern medicine).

The plan for today is to have a little physical therapy; they would like to get her walking a bit. If ever there was a time when I needed prayers, it was the first day of physical therapy. It can be very discouraging when your body doesn't work the way it used to, so please give Natalee extra prayers today that she will be able to be patient with herself and her recovery. Sherri says that she is just as independent as ever, hasn't wanted to have the ice chips fed to her unless she could do it herself.

Sherri is concerned about her cell phone minutes, so she is asking that people call directly to the room now if they want to get a hold of her. The number that she gave me is 503.413.1313, and Natalee is in room 3524.

Sherri really feels peace and comfort and is so grateful for all the prayers on Natalee and the family's behalf. Natalee is starting to be able to take a visitor or two a day, and would like to see some of her friends. Please call first and talk to Sherri to see if it is a good day to visit, and please understand that Natalee gets overwhelmed easily so some days just won't work for visiting. She is grateful for all the love that she feels.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

That is amazing news. I hope the pain goes away very quickly and that you get better

Missy said...

Way to go Natalee! Keep thinking positive. We will continue to pray for your speedy recovery.

kaytlin22 said...

natalee i am so happy to hear you are doing better! sorry i couldn't leave any comments the past couple days i was in idaho with my family who live out there. you are always in my prays! i love and miss you sooooooooooo much! i hear you are letting some visiters come and see you so that is great!
can't wait to see you and love ya lots,
kaytlin :D

P.S.
here is the joke of the day:
spell kaytlin. spell it...................k-a-y-t-l-i-n.
no, i-t! get it? it is so funny i play that one on my sister all the time and gets her every time too!

- kaytlin :D
P.S.S.
tell your family i said hello and that i send them good thoughts! get well soon!

Presley K said...

Natalee-
I am so happy you are doing better and we hope to come visit you soon! Can't WAIT to see you sometime! Love you lots-
Presley

Makenna said...

Hi Natalee,
Sounds like you are doing pretty good recovering. Sorry your throat hurts. You have probably become very brave at getting shots! The other day I had to get some shots and I was really nervous. I thought of how brave you are and it really helped me. I hope you get to come home soon!
I miss you.
Love,~Makenna

Anonymous said...

Natalee~
I will be hoping your physical therapy goes great! I know that would bug me, not being able to move something right. But your stong, and hopefully you'll learn some more patience as that may strongly be needed! I do have a gift for you, but you'll get it with the rest of the gifts everyone is bringing in for you! Sorry its short but i gotta(oh, i hope mrs. johnson doesn't see this....Grammar police!) go have dinner!
--Courtney T, A6

Anonymous said...

Hey Natalie!
I hope that you get better!!
I will be praying for you( my church is praying for you as well)
Think good thoughts!

Margo said...

Hey Natalee!
That is all great news! I'm so glad to hear that your recovering so soon! You are so brave! ! [Exclamation point]! Everyone is still talking about you at school, not to embaress you or something. They put more of those Fight with Natalee posters up todaay, you are so populare! I hope you know that people are there and care about you, it helps to know that. Heres a really ramdom questine, when was the last time you ran out side? I would guess a long time ago. You will be let out just in time, the weathers been amazing, you know with summer and all that. Goodnesss, Im patetic! I'm telling you about the weather! Oh well. HAve a good recovery, have lots of rest, and I'll stay tunned into your blog.
Yours sincerly, Margo Smolyansky ;]