Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 5 - Diagnosis

I’ve started this blog entry several different times, but still haven’t found the right words to ease into this information. The diagnosis is renal cell carcinoma. It is very rare in children. It started in her left kidney and the doctors do not know what causes this cancer in children. Because it is so rare, there is not an established treatment method.

We do know that chemotherapy has not been effective at treating RCC. The plan is to go ahead and remove the diseased kidney and as much of the tumor as possible. In some circumstances, when tumors have been removed, the other metastatic lesions (such as the ones in her lungs) have shrunk on their own, and we are hoping for that scenario.

Additionally, after Natalee has recovered from the surgery, she will begin a treatment of some drugs that have had success in the past at stopping the growth of the cancer. There is a doctor in Houston who is currently running a clinical trial for people with RCC, and Dr. Olson had just consulted with him prior to our meeting. He felt like the drugs that he was using in his trials were available in Portland and that Natalee would do better to undergo the treatment at her home. He was very willing to work with Dr. Olson and assist her in treatment options so that was very encouraging. It is likely that the Walton’s will travel to Houston for a second opinion after the surgery, and if there is an option to join the clinical trial they will consider that.

Dr. Olson was hoping to get the surgery scheduled as soon as possible, so it will likely be the end of this week or beginning of next. It is a big surgery and is complicated to schedule, but they are hoping to bump Natalee ahead of other scheduled patients.

Natalee has felt a great deal of fatigue this weekend and is worn out. To help keep Natalee as healthy as possible in preparation for surgery, Sherri & Kent would like to ask that people wait to visit Natalee until after the surgery. She does read her blog and is grateful for the comments and support and love that she has received.

This is going to be a very difficult battle and recovery and we again request fervent prayers on her behalf. We will continue to post needs as they arise and will keep everyone updated.

If you are interested in sending a card and don't have her address, please send it to me and I'll take it over immediately:

Natalee Walton
% J Wilbur
12185 SW Summer St
Tigard OR 97223

Thank you for your love and support during this difficult time.

12 comments:

Elise <3 said...

Hey Natalee! We are all praying for you and and keeping positive thoughts for you to get healthy quickly as posible. We all miss you so much and hope your surgery goes well. In P.e. we are going to do something special for you... but i don't want to ruin the surprise!.... All of us at Conestoga are wishing you the best of luck going down that tough path... ): ... I know you must be really bored but just hang in there and you will get through it! ( just keep beating people at Rack-o!) Get well!

Elise S. <3 B house... P.E.

Unknown said...

Hey there. I will be praying for you to get better. Everyone is still talking about you and waiting for your return. Everyone says I should be more sad... I am, but why be sad when thing will get better definitely.

Nicholas K. 6 A House

Brianna Smythe said...

Hey Natalee

We all miss you and hopefully we can see you soon. I hope everything goes well and you feel better. You are in my prayers and thoughts and hope to talk to you soon.


Love,
Brianna, Stella, Matt, and Cassie

Anonymous said...

Natalee~
It nice to hear they found out what you have- but that means your special if few children have it! Everyone knows your special though, and your special in everyones hearts right about now. Wait to get something from A House-it's coming. Anbd if you go to Houston, I hope you have a fun trip, and try to enjoy it! I pray your surgey goes well but your a strong girl so i'll know you'll make it. Didn't kow you much but i still pray for you because you were in A6 so you were part of a big family that included me and many others, and we will all continutue to pray untill your better. Sending (yes, more!) Love,
Courtney 6A

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalee
My name is Megan Ellertson I was on your soccer team a couple years ago and I am good friends with the Brobergs. I was just going to tell you that I pray for you every night I really hope you get better soon. I go to ISB and I still have many friends at Conestoga and they tell me you are a good friend. I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you. Get well soon don't get to bored in the hospital.

Shannon said...

I hope your surgery goes well. I know you are strong enough to do anything you put your mind to. We are all praying in behalf of you and your family. Think of the good things in life and enjoy every moment.

Rachel said...

Hey cousin;

When my fater told me that you had cancer, my heart stopped. You of all people are the most sweetest. I know that God only gives us chanllenges we can handle. You dear, must have been a strong spirit daughter of Heavenly Father. I know the Lord is watching over you and your family. Hang in there... We love you.
Rachel Maughan kanooth

Anonymous said...

Natalee....Pickle!
I am praying for you every moment I think of you....and I think of you often! We really missed you at camp this weekend. But I will say that you were there in spirit, and through 9 pickles....I will explain! We each wore a pickle, made by Ally and Brianna, on our hats at camp. The girls also had your name written on most of their arms and legs! They got great reviews from the "song" on Saturday night. I think it was because it was dedicated to you! Natalee, you are a very strong person, and I truly believe that God has GREAT things still planned for you. Keep your fighting spirit and know that we love you and are in constant prayer for you!!!

Tammy

RILEY said...

hi Natalee,i feel so heartbroken to hear what happened to you.you are such a nice person that it makes it hard to believe that this happened to you.i know for one that if something like that happened to me i know that i probably could not handle that.i know that you will get through this.you are in my thoughts and in my prayers.let us know if we could do anything to help you okay.stay strong. -Riley Larson

Michea said...

Natalee,

You must be REALLY special, because I heard about you all the way down here in Texas! Have you ever heard that everything is bigger in Texas? It's true! Believe it or not.... even our prayers are bigger! :)
I sent an email to all my friends telling them how I found a new friend that needed our help. And of course each person emails all of their friends, and they email their friends,and before you know it... you've got the whole state of Texas praying for you!

By the way, I'm Michea Davis.(Candy Booth's sister in law.)

Hope this helps:
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)

Michea said...

I noticed some people were calling you "pickle" and thought you might enjoy this:

International Pickle Week

May 15-25 is International Pickle Week. First celebrated in 1948, International Pickle Week spans two full weekends. In honor of International Pickle Week, here are a few juicy bits of pickle trivia:


The pickle got its name in the 1300s when English-speaking people mispronounced William Beukelz�s name. He was a Dutch fisherman known for pickling fish.
The phrase �in a pickle� was coined by William Shakespeare in his play The Tempest. He writes, �How cam�st thou in this pickle?� and �I have been in such a pickle
Cleopatra attributed a portion of her beauty to pickles.
Famous pickle-loving people include Aristotle, Cleopatra, Julius Caesar, Christopher Columbus, Queen Elizabeth, Napoleon, George Washington, and Elvis Presley
National Football League teams and college football teams use pickle juice as a way for their athletes to avoid muscle cramps. The results seem to be the same whether the pickles are sweet or dill

Anonymous said...

Natalee,

I know that getting notes from friends is really fun, even when life isn't. I have to say, as the mother of one of your friends and teammates, that you are an incredible person. Your family is wonderful.

And I am heartbroken that ANY of you have to go through this.

To all of the Walton family, be strong in faith, persevere in prayer, wait on the Lord and lean on each other. Know that sometimes tears are as healing as laughter. Reach towards the strength that you all have and don't feel weak when asking for help.

I am praying, as are many others. God is in charge and the fact that you know that will make this easier.

Natalee, get better soon. It will not be the same watching v-ball without your power serves and quick smile. Plus, who else can keep Emily in the giggle fits?

Count the Frisco family as 3 more prayer warriors.

Love, Mrs. Frisco