Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 18

Natalee loves being home!  The weather has been amazing and she has buoyed her spirits.  Her pain is lessening and she may be able to switch to just Tylenol shortly, which is not surprising to those of us who are expecting miracles, but truly a miraculous event so soon after such major surgery.  

She has enjoyed having visitors and really loves being taken for wheelchair rides.  The weather is supposed to be gorgeous this week, so call to see if you can come visit Natalee and take her and the wheelchair out for a spin.  She would love having friends come over to play games too.  The Walton's have some games, but it is always fun to try new ones too.  

I thought I would address some of the questions that Sherri (or myself) get asked about Natalee and where we are going from here.  Kind of Natalee's own FAQ:

Q. Did they get all the tumor out in surgery?
A. The surgeon said that he cleaned it out as thoroughly as he could, however, the cancer can consist of microscopic particles.  Essentially, the doctors do not know if they got it all.
~~~~~~~~~~
Q. When we Natalee start her treatment for the remaining cancerous spots?
A. The plan is to let Natalee's body heal from the surgery so that it can be strong enough to withstand the harsh effect of the cancer treating drugs.  They said initially that it could be anywhere from 2-4 weeks after surgery.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Q. Will she be traveling to Houston to see the doctor who is running the clinical trial as discussed in previous posts?
A. At this point, the oncologist isn't sure that is the best course of action.  The difficulty with sending Natalee to see that particular doctor is that he has never worked with pediatric patients who have RCC.  In fact, that is a huge difficulty at this point.  There are several doctors (even some great ones locally), who have a great deal of experience with RCC, but none of them have experience with the pediatric disease.  The cancer has to be treated much differently in a child than an adult for many reasons.  

The doctors are searching everywhere to try to find a single doctor who has treated a child with RCC and haven't had any luck yet.  There is no data out there due to the rarity of the disease occurring in children.  In fact, Natalee's tumor is the first pediatric RCC tumor that will be tagged for research in the United States.  Kent has read that it is estimated that only 2 children per year are diagnosed with RCC in the entire United States.  

So we are asking people to pray fervently that the doctors will be able to find someone who has treated a pediatric patient with RCC.  
~~~~~~~~~~

One last note, as Natalee's condition changes less rapidly, there is simply less to post.  I will post as often as I have information and am still looking for people who have taken pictures from visits or videos that I can post here.  Sherri is also hoping to write something for the blog as well; but obviously, she has a lot going on right now.  She does sincerely want everyone to know how much your prayers have meant for their family, and she is truly grateful for all the help and support. The meals and lawn care and household help has been amazing and a real blessing to them all. Thank you again.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting all those answers!
Natalee~
Ha ha, tyou know, if i was in a wheelchair thats what i would do! I would love playing around in it! It really cool your home and get to spend it on a nice weekend! Maybe you could post an entry on the site? I saw that your basketball team came to visit you in the hospital-thats nice! Do you know Sydney? Her name is Squid i think on her sweatshirt? She's in my dance class! I saw her in the picture abnd i remembered her wearing that sweatshirt to dance during the winter! So, I hope you get to spend time with your friends while your recovering. I'll be praying yoou guys can find a great RCC doctor who can treat you.
Sending Wishes And Love,
Courtney T,6A

Margo said...

Wow! That is all just amazing! This whole... situation would totaly fit in with any classic miracle movie. Who knows? Maybe someday they will make a movie based on what happened now, and at the beggining there will be a thing saying "this is a true story about..." It's great to know how fast your recovering, Natalee. I'm sure by now you probibly feel very special. Well keep up the miracles!
Wishing you health, happiness, and more miracles, Margo ;]

Shannon said...

I am glad that you are healing up so quickly! You an inspiration to myself and to my family who are not members. They have really seen the miracle of the gosple.

Presley said...

Natalee-
Looks like u r doing soo much better! I will see wat i can do to come visit u and maybe take u out 4 a walk or somethin!! So dont worry- i will stop by soon!

Rachel said...

It is so good to hear that you are home. Natalee, you truly are a little miricle baby. Hang in there and have fun in your own home. You deserve it.

Susan Vargo said...

Natalee:
We're so happy to know you are through the worst of it and are on the mend AT HOME. What a miraculous journey this has been. And there are more miracles to come. The perfect expertise for your treatment exists and is on its way to you in perfect timing. We can be patient, knowing your healing is in God's hands and everything is right on schedule. God's plan is perfect. Just as we saw last week, we can expect to be amazed!

Charlie would like to visit with some friends this week. We'll give a call and work something out. Enjoy the sunshine!

Susan Vargo

Anonymous said...

Natalee-
Yay! I'm glad that you're okay. It's great to hear how fast you're recovering. It makes me so happy!

Tammy Fulps said...

Hey Natalee...

I'm very happy to see you recovering so well! Being in God's capable hands is the BEST place to be! I will get with your mom and work out a movie party/game night with the gang....

More to come!

Tammy

rere luvs natalee said...

hi natalee,its me rechealle yea i just put in like alot of money for u for the miracle minute everyones still praying hang in there cuz god still has u in his hands
well gtg i got 2 go back 2 class


love ya ure's truly rechealle rain

bhavna said...

hey natalee....

i am so glad your feeling better. this morning we had the miracle minute.we all love u. get well soon.i called u from the conestoga phone book but u did not answer so if u have time just give me a call. my number is 5037464223.

Love ya <3,
bhavana

Ryan said...

Hello Natalee, we love you.

Emillyyyyy BARLOWWW said...

love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3

Emily Barlow said...

A house should win;
YOu are our inspirationn
But the thing is
miracle minute for Natalee;
we probably wont win;
BUTTTT your class and mine;
we overflowed the bucket and it had to go into the box :)
hope we win
it would suck if we didnt
you being in our class and all?

love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
love you with all my heart<3
Emily Barlow